A word from the Principal
As we come to the end of a very busy and creative term, I wanted to highlight some key achievements and plans for the coming year. The infographic below gives some highlights.
The Conservatoire as an educator
Thanks to our wonderful group of Tutors, we continue to offer exceptional opportunities for people of all ages to explore their creativity. In music, this is reflected in our outstanding examination results:
- 96% pass rate
- 58% at merit or distinction
These results mean that we are hugely above the most recent available data for exam centres, which have average pass rates of 48% and Merit/Distinction at 20%.
The Conservatoire at the heart of the community
Our focus on our central ethos that the arts cannot only enrich lives but also transform them has led to the continuing growth of our community outreach programme, including:
- Work with Age Exchange on intergenerational arts bringing together nursery school children and senior citizens
- Developing music resources and curricula for early years settings with LEYF nurseries which will eventually reach 6000 of the poorest and most vulnerable children across Greater London
- Supporting autistic and deaf students to access music and the arts
- Developing bands and ensembles with Eltham Hill School
- Providing artistic opportunities to help refugee families integrate into the community
The Conservatoire as a creative organisation
We are also hugely expanding our brief as a performing centre, with over 60 concerts, exhibitions and other events in the current academic year from masterclasses and Tutor recitals to community arts exhibitions and learner performances. We continue to support the original work produced by our fantastic team of Tutors, and this is something we will continue to expand over the coming months.
Celebrating our past, building our future
Most excitingly for us, 2021 sees the 140th anniversary of the founding of the Conservatoire. We are currently working on an ambitious programme of events, awareness-raising, outreach and fundraising to both celebrate our past and build our future. Look out for more information on this over the next few months – we’d love as many as possible of our learners, parents and friends to be involved.
Finally, on behalf of the core staff, our Trustees and Tutors, I’d like to wish you all a very happy Christmas and a peaceful and creative New Year.
And a few other things...
Fancy becoming a board member at The Conservatoire? Click here for all the info.
And why not check out the mural that our young art students made for the creativity garden! See the progress blog, pictures and video here.