Purpose of Post: The Premises Stewards are the team who fulfil a vital support function in providing a safe, secure, and welcoming environment for all our students, tutors and staff. Utilizing their organizational and logistical skills and meticulous attention to detail, they help ensure the efficient operation of the Conservatoire at its busiest times. Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to problem solve within a busy and demanding environment are at the heart of the role.
Responsible to: Premises Manager
Background: The Conservatoire in Blackheath was established in 1881, originally as the Blackheath Conservatoire of Music, and is the focus of arts education and events in South East London, providing exceptional lifelong learning. It is a charity offering group classes and individual tuition in music, art and drama, catering for all ages, welcoming over 2000 learners a week.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Acting as duty manager for the evening and weekends classes and events.
- Overseeing all room set ups for the evening and next day.
- Ensuring all the communal areas including the toilets are clean, tidy, and free from hazards.
- Responsible for the security of the buildings including locking down at the end of the day.
Acting as duty manager for the evenings’ classes and events.
- The Conservatoire is open from 9am – 10pm Monday to Friday and 9am – 6pm at the weekends. During the day, the Premises Manager acts as the Duty Manager handing over to the Premises Stewards for the evenings and weekends. As Duty Manager you are responsible for the safe evacuation of the premises in the event of a fire alarm activation and reacting to requests for First Aid or dealing with incidents.
Overseeing all room set ups for the evening and next day.
- Ensuring each room has all the required resources for the class.
- Packing down and setting up rooms for next day classes.
- Liaising with staff and tutors to ensure the smooth operation of classes/events within the buildings.
Ensuring all the communal areas including toilets are clean, tidy, and free from hazards.
- To undertake maintenance tasks as required. Carrying out minor repairs to furniture/equipment/fixtures and fittings where possible and reporting larger issues.
- Checking toilet facilities regularly and topping up toilet tissue/hand soap and hand towels when required.
Responsible for the security of the buildings including locking down at the end of the day.
- Maintaining constant vigilance around the security of the premises and safety of the occupants.
- Ensuring health and safety policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Locking down the buildings and setting the intruder alarms.
- Experience of working in a busy premises/facilities environment, preferably within arts education
- Knowledge of PC and Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel, Word and Outlook .
- Previous experience of duty management.
- Experience of logistics i.e., setting up rooms and equipment and packing down.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Confident to carry out minor repairs (electrical / carpentry / plumbing) .
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively within a small team
- Ability to prioritise tasks, manage workloads from multiple sources and meet deadlines
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiastic, positive, and flexible
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Effective interpersonal skills to deal with a wide range of people
- Committed to working within community arts education
- Interest and enthusiasm for arts education
- Experience of working in a charity or social enterprise.
- Experience of art, music and / or drama activity programme for children and adults
- Term: Permanent position.
- Salary : £ 21,000 per annum pro-rata from 40hrs.
- Hours vary according to shift patterns : 12hrs-28hrs available
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays pro-rata from 40hrs.
- A contributory pension scheme is available to eligible staff following 3 months in post and continues on successful completion of probation.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Application deadline: Friday 21st May 2021
Interviews during week beginning 24th May.
To start : Monday 7th June 2021
Click to download our Equality and Diversity Monitoring Form