Keeping you Covid-Secure at The Conservatoire
Following the Government’s easing of lockdown, we are planning a phased re opening of our buildings from Monday 19 April.
From Monday 19 April
In the building
All group classes for Under-18s
Individual Tuition for children and adults (online option still available)
Adult group classes
From Monday 7 June
In the building
All classes – Adult Classes transfer to in-person and extra classes for adults added to the programme.
As in September, we are committed to do all we can to ensure our students, staff and tutors are safe returning. There will be rules to follow for everyone’s safety, but we are
all used to this by now and the excellent creative teaching and warm and welcoming atmosphere will remain. Below we have laid out everything we are doing and how you can help us, so that you can rest assured when booking. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are so excited to welcome you back (again!)
Our first priority is to keep our staff, tutors and students safe. We have conducted a major risk assessment to identify all the measures needed to ensure we satisfy the required social distancing and other mitigation measures necessary to stop the virus from spreading. As much as we would all like things to return to normal, please bear with us and adhere to the necessary measures we will be putting in place.
There is a clearly sign-posted one-way system in operation with separate entrances and exits to our buildings.
There are hand sanitisers at entry and exit points and in every room (or provide your own), extra cleaning of touch points and instruments, good ventilation from open windows and doors, and distance marking in communal areas.
We would like to minimise the number of non-students in the building and ask that you do not wait for long periods of time in the communal areas. If you do need to wait, please use the Creativity Garden or passageway between the Conservatoire and the Blackheath Halls.
Extra bicycle storage is available in the Creativity Garden.
Special arrangements are in place and will be communicated for group classes such as Roundabout.
Please wear a mask in communal areas.
In line with government guidance we ask that adults and children over 11 wear a mask except where this limits participation in their activity (eg. singing, blown instruments)
Classes and Lessons
We have been measuring our teaching rooms and moved classes into larger rooms to allow more space between students and teachers and, in cases where this is not possible, reducing class sizes. We have also considered the safest ways of sitting to ensure classes remain sociable but we reduce any potential droplet transfer.
Any unnecessary clutter and furniture has been removed to ensure the maximum space is available.
To reduce any possible spread of germs, only tutors will open doors.
Some classes have had to be cancelled due to concerns about delivering the class you know and love whilst adhering to social distancing and following Government advice. We hope to reinstate these classes as soon as safely possible.
For other classes we have redesigned the curriculum so that our students get just as much out of the programme as before! This may mean we have altered some instruments included in the programme, or that we adapt props. More details can be found alongside the affected classes and will be further elaborated upon when booking.
If you would prefer to continue to learn at home, some classes will also offer a remote learning option.
We are operating an even more rigorous cleaning regime, where all shared instruments and music stands are cleaned between classes and lessons.
We are sadly no longer able to hire out instruments (or anything else your teacher asks you to bring – music, pencils etc.), so please don’t forget to bring yours. The lesson will not be able to go ahead in the absence of an instrument. The only shared instruments will be allocated in certain group classes and will be particularly easy to clean.
How you can help
- Do not enter the building if you, or anyone in your family group is displaying signs of COVID-19, however mild.
- Adhere to the Government’s recommended quarantine and isolation periods where relevant and do not enter the Conservatoire.
- If you have been attending classes or lessons and later develop symptoms, please inform us at your earliest convenience.
- Follow the signs, routes and directional floor markings.
- Comply with social distancing to 1m as a minimum in relation to staff, tutors, other students and members of the public.
- Practice good hand hygiene and use the sanitiser stations.
- If your child attends a class where an adult accompanies them, please can we ask that only one adult attends. Extra siblings will not be allowed into the class. We appreciate it may often not be possible, but would appreciate it, if, wherever feasible, siblings are not brought to drop-off and collection.
- Arrive as close to the start and end of lessons and classes as possible and avoid congregating in communal areas. If you need to wait, do so in the Creativity Garden or passageway.
- Wear a mask in communal areas and classes and lessons if over 11 and this does not limit your participation .
- Wrap up warmer than normal. All of our windows and external doors will be open to ensure the best possible ventilation.
- Don’t forget your instruments or anything else your tutor asks you to bring (your music, pencils etc.) We are no longer able to loan resources apart from specially allocated ones in group classes with their own cleaning regimes.
- Enjoy yourselves!
You can download a copy of our Covid Risk Assessment - it will be updated as and when it changes.